|Title||Targets of Opportunity|
|Airdate||July 20, 2015|
|Written by||Jim Leonard|
|Directed by||Michael M. Robin|
|Previous episode||Personal Effects|
|Next episode||Hostage to Fortune|
|Episode list||Season 4|
After a shooting leaves two LA police officers dead, the Major Crimes unit must work with the Deputy Chief of the LAPD Special Operations Bureau, Fritz Howard, to piece together a high stakes case involving a fugitive witness. Meanwhile, Rusty works with the team on the case in order to secretly gather more background information to support his own, journalistic investigation into the life of the girl who called herself Alice Herrera.
- Rico Fornes
- Witness to the murders.
- In the country illegally after being deported.
- Uncle is high-ranking member of MS-13.
- Works for Echo.
- Hunted by the killers.
- Mustache and Baldy
- Two ex-cons posing as police officers as part of a scam.
- Killed the victims when caught robbing an old man.
Closing the CaseEdit
- Carlos Pratts as Rico Fornes
- Chris Browning as Mustache
- Matt Bushell as Baldy
- Patrick Stafford as TJ Shaw
- The MS-13 gang features in his episode. MS-13 is the shorthand name for the Mara Salvatrucha, a gang that originated in Los Angeles, with ties to El Salvador. The gang is ultra-violent, and engages in a range of criminal activity, including human trafficking and the drug trade. Deportations of prominent gang members from the U.S. have resulted in the growth of the gang in other countries, particularly in Central America.
- The church scene was filmed at Our Lady Help of Christians Church in Lincoln Heights, near downtown Los Angeles. The Lincoln Heights area is a traditional Latino neighborhood, largely populated by multi-generational Mexican immigrant families. Rusty is seen entering their Parroquia de Maria Auxiliadora, or parish hall.
The Search for Alice HerreraEdit
- Rusty is able to take advantage of the LAPD hunt for to run a background check on Gustavo Wallace. He learns that Gustavo has a record including an assault with a deadly weapons charge. Rusty plans to meet Gustavo with TJ insisting he will accompany Rusty to the meeting.
- When Rusty and TJ replay the message from Gustavo Wallace, he calls Rusty by name. In Identity, when Rusty altered Alice's voicemail greeting, he did not give his name thus Gustavo wouldn't have known to call him Rusty.
- Rusty discusses Gustavo Wallace who he has learned is Alice and Paloma's older brother.