Character Information Edit
In season 2, he started dating Detective Daniels and continued doing so until the beginning of season 4, when they started having problems and eventually broke up.
Near the end of season 4, when they were still arguing, Deputy Chief Johnson was informed by Assistant Chief Pope that she might lose one of her members to the Criminal Intelligence Division of the LAPD. Since Gabriel and Irene's personal difficulties made it impossible for them to work together, Lieutenant Provenza ordered one of them to apply for the position. In the end of “Double Blind”, Pope tells Gabriel that both of them had applied for the position. It was revealed in season 5 that Irene got the position.
In the end of The Closer, Gabriel is transferred to the D.A.'s Office's Bureau of Investigation to act as liaison officer to the LAPD when Brenda Leigh Johnson becomes its Chief. Before this, Gabriel is clearly distrusted by the squad due to his still-dating a woman who was, unbeknownst to him, acting as a spy for Peter Goldman.
- Gabriel has a master's degree in Public Administration from the University of Southern California.
- During Season 5, Gabriel prepared for and eventually took the Detective's Exam. After that, he was laterally promoted to Detective II, the first supervisory detective rank which is comparable to his previous rank as a Sergeant.
- David has been seen wearing two different badges:
- During The Closer, Seasons 1-5, his badge number is 714. Sometimes he can be seen with a badge that has four numbers ending with 02, but the first two numbers can not be seen clearly.
- During The Closer, Seasons 6-7, his badge number is 5349.
- When in uniform, David wears three service stripes on his uniform. Each stripe represents five years of service in the LAPD, meaning he has served for 15-19 years. (“Repeat Offender”)
- When David was seen in uniform in “Strike Three”, he wore two stripes, meaning 10-14 years of service.
- This means that during The Closer, David was always the junior officer to Det. Julio Sanchez even though the show treated them the other way around. Even though David was originally a Sergeant, he still did not outrank Julio at any time, as they were always comparable in rank (Sergeant is comparable to Julio's Detective II). After David passed his Detective's Exam for Season 6, he was laterally promoted to Detective II, the same rank as Det. Sanchez.
- Medals and service awards worn by Det. Gabriel: (“Repeat Offender”)
|The Closer Characters|
|Brenda Leigh Johnson • Sharon Raydor • Fritz Howard • Will Pope • Russell Taylor • Louie Provenza • Andy Flynn • Michael Tao • David Gabriel • Julio Sanchez • Irene Daniels • Buzz Watson • Dr. Fernando Morales|